Friday, August 24, 2007

Featured August Artist - Lexi Daly



Lexi Daly is an incredibly talented artist. Her blog Confetti is an inspiring place worth a visit! Lexi's artistic expression comes through many outlets including stamping, cakes, jewelry and party planning! She is unaware of just how talented she is and I believe she is on the cusp of becoming a star! Here is my interview with Lexi:

How long have you been stamping and decorating cakes?

I have been stamping for a little over eight years, decorating cakes about seven. Although I've been into drawing and other crafts, including baking all my life! When I discovered stamping, I had already been designing stationery and invitations for myself and friends, mostly on the computer with some scanned artwork of my own.

What was your first stamping experience? What was your first stamp?

My first stamping experience was coming up with ideas for my 8 year old daughter's birth announcement. My cousin introduced me to the idea while I was visiting a few months before my due date and I ordered a SU! baby set just for the project. My first stamp however was given to me long before that by a college friend for my birthday--a fish that i still have. At the time, I had no idea what to do with it! After that first SU! order and project, I was hooked! And since my cousin lives in Florida, I became my own demonstrator.

What are your favorite stamp companies?

My favorite stamp companies are A Muse, Papertrey Ink, Stamping Bella and of course, Stampin' Up!, which started it all for me. I also like stamps from Hero Arts, Impress Rubber Stamps and Paper Source. A true collection wouldn't be complete without an assortment!

Where do you get inspiration from?

I get inspiration from everywhere--colors and themes in magazines and catalogs, clothes, TV commercials, movies, books and sometimes just staring at the stamps and papers or just seeing what I have spread around my desk. I try not to look at too many samples of a new set or stamp until I've played with it unless I'm truly stumped or can't remember why I had to have it!

What other hobbies do you enjoy?

My little business keeps me busy and revolves around my top hobbies--stamping, stationery design, cake decorating & throwing parties. I don't have time for a lot of other hobbies, but I love to read and I belong to a book club to make sure I make time for it. I also volunteer in various community and school activities. And, quite the opposite of reading, I love bad, mindless TV--I can multi task to it and it makes me laugh!

How long have you lived in New Orleans?

I was born in New Orleans (38 years ago this month!) And have lived here most of my life. I also lived in Lafayette, Louisiana for a while when I was growing up and in Austin while attending the University of Texas.

Do you have favorite blogs?

It's hard to pick just one! The one that got me hooked on blogs was Julie Ebersole's via Splitcoaststampers, which then led me to Scoopy's, which quickly became a favorite and then it just went on and on from there!

Do you teach?

Stamping? Not now, though I've taught a few classes before. In my full time working life, I was a first grade teacher and continue to teach extremely part time--first grade computer lab, only two hours a week! I even have a blog for them where I introduce any web-based lessons so we have our links in one place.

Do you have a favorite stamping moment?

Any time I nail my visions on paper! So many times, I start stamping without an idea of where I'm going, and that's fun. But if I do happen to have a picture or idea floating around in my brain, I get so excited when I can actually create it and it works--like my ipod inspired rock star cards or my berry basket, which got an honorable mention from Nichole Heady.

Lexi mentioned that she is honored and flattered to be featured on Balance! Isn't she a class act?!!

I know someday Lexi is going to be on a design team! She is awesome (as an artist and a person)!

Right now, Lexi is working on getting published and she is a new Staff Reporter for Craft Critique! Thanks so much Lexi!

Here are a few samples of her work:



A Muse Cards!! Aren't they so well done!!



Here are some more inspiring cards!! Love them!!

A gorgeous wedding album!
And now the cakes...They are to die for!!



Thanks for sharing all your wonderful art with us, Lexi!!

6 comments:

kathleenh said...

Wow! Lexi you are an incredibly talented woman! Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Anonymous said...

What a great interview. Lexi, your work is amazing! I love all of your cards. WOW is all I can say!! You've got talent girl.

Thanks Kristina. You are the Queen of interviews.

Mary said...

Look at all of the lovely cards!!!! The cake and cupcakes look delicious. I enjoyed your interview with Lexi very much. Thanks Kristina.

Mary

denny said...

Wow! Amazing! I like the spa-lady cake... too funny.

Anonymous said...

thanks kristina!

and thanks to you guys, too, for your sweet comments!

:) lexi

gibbsmom said...

Lexi,
You never mentioned that you were recognized for you extreme talents!! I am glad that someone has noticed :) I think your favorite stamping moment shoud be when we couldn't get the heat to work and Jill said I am not stopping, they may find me with my fingers frozen to the stamps, but I am staying!!

:) Barb